October 8, 2010

Apple Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
1 medium apple (70 calories)
chicken breast (approx. 112 calories in 100 grams, or 4 oz.)
spinach (1 cup = 30 grams, 7 calories)
apple cider vinegar (1 tablespoon = 14 grams, 7 calories)
melba toast (1 cracker = 17 calories)

Bake 100 grams of chicken seasoned with salt and pepper in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until fully cooked. Chop and place on bed of washed spinach. Slice medium apple and add to salad. Toss with apple cider vinegar.

Serve with a side of melba toast. Enjoy with a diet beverage.
Total calories = 213

Lunch suggestion: 1 protein, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 grain

2 comments:

  1. Hi - couldn't find where I can add my own posting...

    Recipe - Spicy "Cajun" Shrimp & Grilled Asparagus.

    I use the precooked/cleaned medium frozen shrimp. You can get approximately 15 shrimp for 100 grams so it feels like you get to eat more than if you use larger ones or prawns. Just thaw them out and then weigh out your 100grams...I usually make a double batch, then I can use the other half to make a shrimp salad with fresh spinach leaves for the next day.

    I heat a non-stick pan, spray a little olive oil pam and add the shrimp. Then I use Mrs. Dash's Extra Spicy seasoning (0 calories) liberally...stir a few times and add more Mrs. Dash to taste. The shrimp is already pre-cooked so just cook long enough to warm them up and let the spices "soak" in. Mrs. Dash Garlic also tastes great if you don't like spicy!

    I weigh out about 150grams of asparagus and heat our gas grill (or you can do instead on grill pan, or regular skillet if you like). Spray the asparagus with olive oil pam, and sprinkle all sides with sea salt. I prefer the larger grain sea salt over the smaller, I think it has better flavor. Then use a pepper mill and cover both sides with fresh cracked pepper. Grill both sides of the asparagus until done, maybe 3 minutes each side? Careful not to overcook...it can taste like charcoal! Even my son, who refuses to eat veggies loves it this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great ideas, deserving of a post of their own. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete